Austin Carbo - Design Workshop - Blog #8

Hey y'all! Not sure how many people are going to continue their blog since the semester is over, but i figured I would still try and give an update every now and then. 

Work: 

Not too much has happened with work since my last post. The owner of Bosshard ranch recently explained to us that he wants to hold off on the project until lumber and other materials prices have come back to more normal prices. 3 creek hasn't progressed much, although today we have a design charrette with the architects. Bear Island has been my main focus lately. Lots of design changes between DW, the architects, and the client. I've had to go back and edit a lot of cad work and graphics. I also never realized how many rules and regulations came with building a driveway. You have to have turnouts and turnarounds every so many feet in Teton County, so it's been interesting helping figure out the best approach for the driveway. Now that the snow has melted, I will be going out to my first site visit for 915 S Mill St. I have to go and locate all the existing irrigation on site. I really miss site visits so I'm really looking forward to visiting this site.

Leisure: 

Two weekends ago, my friend Brittany came to visit. She has never been to anywhere like Colorado so this was an interesting visit for her. It was last minute of a trip but we made the most out of it. We went to the Colorado National Monument as well as visited the nearby town of Grand Junction. I brought her own a hike near Carbondale. It's a relatively short and easy hike, but offers great views. It's the Mushroom Rock/ Red Hill Hike. Unfortunately, the altitude was getting the best of Brittany and we didn't finish the trail. I do plan to go back before I leave! We also took a gamble on visiting the Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park. It was surprisingly pretty good for a small park. You park at the bottom and ride the gondola to the top of the mountain where the park is. It was really windy the day we went and so they had to stop the gondola twice on our way up. Definitely an interesting experience to be swaying side to side in a gondola haha. They have. a few really cool rides such as swings that swing you over the side the mountain, an alpine coaster, a "low clearance" roller coaster at the top of the mountain, and a small zip-line ride. Theres a few others but those are the noteworthy ones. You also get to go down into two different caverns which is pretty cool. We ran late on time so we ended up only doing one of the caverns. I also brought her all around the valley showing her the different parks and downtowns. Monday morning, when I was bringing her to the airport, it started snowing. So of course I brought her up to what's known as the Highlands, to get a better snow experience. She had never seen actual snow so this was really cool for her to experience!

This past weekend I went out and biked the Rio Grande Trail. It's a trail that runs from Aspen to Glenwood Springs. For the most part, the trail follows the former railroad that ran up the valley. I biked almost 40 miles! I was worn out by the time I got back home. I plan on this upcoming weekend to hit up some of the mountain bike trails I came across when biking. Saturday I just wanted to do the main trail and see where all I could go bike. On my way back, I ran into Emily biking which was a great surprise. 

Side Note: 

This will be my last full week in the office. Mixed feelings about that for sure. I'm excited to go home for certain things like the food, my dogs, my friends, and of course the Lexus haha. Love driving the Hummer, but its a different kind of love from my car. The hummer is just slow as hell and I'm in desperate need of some spirited driving. Although I am sad to leave the valley, I am very excited for my friends to fly in on the 27th to start our road trip! 

Missing y'all more and more everyday! 

-Austin


Heres some pics in no particular order:)


                                                                            Inside one of the caverns

                                                                            Posted up in the gondola

                                                                            On the Rio Grande Trail

Nice to see some reuse of materials from the railroad 

                                                  Awesome signage when you enter the trail in Carbondale



                                                        
                                                                                Former Gas Station

                                                                                                    Snow!




                                                                            Me and my tiny cottage 

                                                                            Hummer EV test vehicles!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Malcore | Reich Associates | 04

Austin Carbo - Design Workshop - Blog #7

Kaylin Wilson’s Viewport - First Week