Heath Moser #6 - EDS Birmingham 4-19-2021

 Hello everybody,

Things are going as normal over here in Birmingham. Like Chris, I will be pretty sad when it's time to head back to Baton Rouge at the end of June. I really enjoy it here - both in the city and at the firm. I am looking forward to seeing y'all all again and getting this last year of school underway.


I've finally got construction documents for two projects complete and ready to go out for pricing. One of the projects I mostly did the schematic design for (with input from the others as well) and the other took a schematic that Dave/Natali completed but have otherwise done almost all of the construction documents in their entirety. Below are some planting and grading plans for a Mountain Brook residence.





I had a few of my friends over here ask me (because I'm from Louisiana) if we can do a crawfish boil sometime. Despite being from LA however, I've never personally done one, so if anybody has some good tips and instructions those would be of great help lol.


Dave's car has been in the shop a lot recently which has been convenient for me because I have gotten to be his driver and thus attend quite a few meetings lately. Included in these meetings are both construction observation meetings with the landscape contractors, which has been of great interest to me because of my background. We also met with a few prospective clients and with a client and an architect to discuss a house that will be starting construction soon.


On a final note, I have been continuing to improve in Vectorworks and I don't think I will want to go back to AutoCAD. I may have to pick up the student version after the internship ends. Anybody else found some programs they don't want to leave behind at their internships?


See y'all soon.



Comments

  1. Crawfish boil sounds awesome! I also have never actually boiled. I let my dad handle that while I eat them haha.

    What do you prefer about Vectorworks? I've never used it so I have no idea anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha glad i'm not the only one. We always had a seafood store so close by we never had to boil.

      I think CAD and Vectorworks are more comparable these days, but the way Vectorworks has always differed from AutoCAD is the design layers (equivalent to model space) and sheet layers (paper space) look the same. There's no using different line colors to represent lineweights, it's all presented the same in both places which is nice. One thing I didn't like at first is how all of the key commands are just sequences of random keys on the keyboard, rather than having to type in 'mleaderstyle' or something long like that, it's just 1-3 keys. Took a while to memorize them but I've got it pretty well down now. Vectorworks also has a touch of Adobe Illustrator features which helps with board layouts, and fixing minor issues that would be too small for getting out Photoshop. I'm sure there are more differences but those are what I have found based on my experience.

      Delete
  2. I have a document I'll send you for boiling crawfish

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Malcore | Reich Associates | 04

Austin Carbo - Design Workshop - Blog #7

Kaylin Wilson’s Viewport - First Week