Elizabeth Volden - 21 April 2021

Hi pals!

I feel like the weather here has been ALL over the place. For the past few weeks, it has felt more rainy than usual. It also snowed a teeny tiny bit last Friday (not cool). The rainy days make the warm, sunny ones feel even better though! Plus, I think all of the plants are loving it.

The office has felt a little hectic lately. I guess this borderline chaos is a good thing because it means a lot of people are looking for landscape design! I have been doing a lot of spring cleaning/organizing in the office to help everyone stay on top of things. We are currently switching over to a binder filing system for current projects, which will be a fun little downtime task. I feel like I have been learning a lot about AutoCAD and SketchUp lately, which is nice. I also think the office is planning on hiring a new intern sometime soon, so that is pretty exciting. 

Since it has been warming up, construction rates are picking up again. This, along with all of the new clients, means that we have been going on more site visits lately. Plus, it is hard not to take advantage of nice weather when you have it! Recently, Bernice and I visited the neatest property. It is not in the family anymore, but it used to be one of the Kennedy's Hyannis Port mansions. There was still a ton of old memorabilia there. There was even a list of phone numbers on the wall, which included old contacts for the milkman, grocer, secret service, and all of the Kennedys. No big deal. 

That’s all I really have to say for now. I miss you all! 


I feel like all of the trees here are flowering now and I am obsessed with them to say the least


I really enjoyed getting to see this pool. The first project I worked on in the office was a similar pool, so it is nice to see how the CAD drawings come to life


We went to a teak showroom to pick out some furniture, which was fun 


I LOVE this rug. It ran throughout this entire house and was completely custom made. The waterfall running up the stairs was the cutest touch. The squirrels having a picnic are my favorite. I don't think you can see it in this picture, but the rug even depicts the Shrivers playing tennis. Needless to say, I think I need to pick up rug making as a hobby. 


In rug heaven


It is always neat to think about the views that people will see from the inside of their homes. I mean, I think this view is amazing as it is, but I would love to see what this looks like in a year or so when everything is livened up.


This is a new house that we visited. It pretty much sits on a sand dune, which is probably not the most ideal situation for several reasons. The owners are having trouble with erosion even though the house sits further back than its predecessor. Hopefully they will be able to work with a coastal engineer to stabilize the dune around them. Anyway, this picture basically shows a lot of dead plants, but there is no way that they will be permitted for removal. Their roots help keep everything here in its place. I just thought that was neat 


I feel like I have posted a few pictures of these little grasses, but I love them so much -- they're so cute and small and important


I just really like the colors here. The rocks looked a lot less grey than normal :)


I drove up to Plymouth to buy some jelly and fudge this weekend, and I got to walk around the town some. I love how vibrant these plants are!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Malcore | Reich Associates | 04

Austin Carbo - Design Workshop - Blog #7

Kaylin Wilson’s Viewport - First Week