Chad Wilkins- DBA - Working from home #1

 Yesterday marked two months that I've been working at Dana Brown & Associates. In that time I've only been to the office once on my first day to set up my computer. Since then I've worked at home from my office remotely, I've only encountered problems a couple of times with the VPN. I love working from home, it's very relaxed although, our youngest roommate can be a bit loud and just barges in the room whenever he wants. We communicate using google chat and google meet throughout the day, so if someone needs to show you something you can easily share the screen and show what's going on. It may not be as easy as being in person but enjoy it.  

Most of my time has been spent working on two different projects in the office, one called Community Adaptation Program (CAP) and one called Water Wise Gulf South (WWGS). CAP is a grant offered to residents in the Gentilly neighborhood where they can receive $25,000 to improve their property with green infrastructure. This involves meeting with the homeowner to discuss problem areas and their desires for what they would like, while we are there we take measurements. Then we put together the design (don't tell any of the teachers, but everything is done straight on the computer) and once the homeowner approves and NORA signs off it's turned over to the contractor to build. WWGS is similar though it is run by a committee and focuses more on right-of-way improvements like creating permeable paving parking spaces on the street and planted bioretention facilities to help with flooding. The other project I'm working on is redoing all of our standard details to create a cohesive look and feel. 

We recently partnered with Sasaki and were awarded the LSU lakes project so I'm hopeful that I will get to help out with that project though it seems to be taking its time getting started. 

I've mostly been working with AutoCAD creating construction documents, Excel to create Opinion of Probable Cost, and some InDesign putting together maintenance manuals for CAP homeowners.

Most weeks, I work a half-day on Fridays which is nice. I'm already at 30 hours for this week so I'll have most of Friday off. Last Friday I went on some site visits with WWGS to meet with officials from the city to get approval for the projects and we saw some interesting stuff. This was across N. Claiborne from the circle store in the 7th Ward, just wasn't expecting to see somebody riding a horse. 


                                                                                      Gentleman on horse in 7th Ward




This guy spends most of the day laying on top of my feet. 

Then I spend a decent amount of time trying to get this monster off my desk

Hope everyone is doing well, ttfn











Comments

  1. Hey, can you post your name here as well as in future post titles? I'm keeping track of internship experiences and need to be able to differentiate between posts. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Malcore | Reich Associates | 04

Austin Carbo - Design Workshop - Blog #7

Kaylin Wilson’s Viewport - First Week