Cana Boudreaux/Design Workshop/2

 

    So far these past two weeks have been great. I took an Uber ride to Longmont, Colorado to visit Firestone Central Park that is extremely large. The entire park is around 290-320 acres of land that is squarely in the middle of town. The park also included a nice library that is near the middle of the site and oil refineries that feel way out of place. After our visit, I continued to help Jamie(who is from Australia) with measurements of different park amenities in other precedent parks that were nearly the same size in acres as our site.

 Next trip, I rode with another Jamie(our technical principal) and Micah out to Colorado Springs, which is about a hour long drive from Denver, and went to Alamo Square Park. When we arrived to the site, it was outright, disgracefully cold. We saw many of the paving failures that transpired throughout the park as concrete and brick paving systems do not sit well with each other. Many of the isolation mortar joints were cracking, brick courses in the pavement were easy to remove, stairway was disconnecting from the wall, etc. The building on the site, which is the Colorado Springs Pioneer Museum, has an ornate dome with a flagpole on top that is misaligned with the symmetrical aspects of the site. We were taking so many pictures, but I couldn't take any more pictures after the cold was just unreal and I couldn't feel my fingers. We warmed up in Jamie's car after we finished and went back to Denver. 

Not too long ago, me and Sara Peppers(there are 5 Sara/Sarahs working here) were tasked with creating different concepts of paving patterns from different approaches. I had the historical approach and she had the modern approach. We just had our design review for our drawn out concepts yesterday and received great feedback on them.

Our internship project has been fantastic so far, as the group comes together collectively on Tuesdays and Thursdays to discuss our goals and what needs to happen.


Me at my workstation in the office


Firestone Central Park where its looks like you're in the middle of nowhere


Alamo Square Park in Colorado Springs

 

 

Everything here in Denver is fine. I like how there are so many amenities close to the hotel that I can access without having to ride in a car or a bus. Coors Field, where the Colorado Rockies MLB team plays, is a few blocks away from where I'm staying. Snow falls here a good bit and can cause you to slip if you're not careful, which nearly happened to me after I almost slipped over a metal grate. I'm glad I was able to show Austin and Ashton some Denver hospitality as we went to the Rio Grande Restaurant(I absolutely recommend it) and ate good. I also will recommend SliceWorks, especially the buffalo chicken pizza if you're ever in Denver. 


I hope everyone else is doing fine at their places.

-Cana

 

 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Malcore | Reich Associates | 04

Austin Carbo - Design Workshop - Blog #7

Kaylin Wilson’s Viewport - First Week