Austin Schroeder Last Post - 5.22.20

Hey everyone,

Well, I guess this is my last post. I'm a little sad, but I've really enjoyed getting to see what all of you guys were doing at your jobs/life in general. Today is week 2 of everyone here working back in the office, although we are working in a staggered schedule so we are not all here at once. Its definitely a breath of fresh air to be working here again...well fresh enough from behind this facemask at least. My workload has picked back up to pre-quarantine levels which is great too.

One project I've been working on for the  majority of the last couple of months, is a residential development handbook for Avery island. We are working with Susanne Turner Associates, who have been doing the writing portion, while we develop the book layout, graphics, and recommendations. Here's a little sneak peak of some of the things I've personally done (just don't share in case I get in trouble ;-) )


I have been tweaking this site section of the island, and finally landed on what you see. I like how it turned out, even though it kind of looks like a hipster-y arm tattoo.


These thumbnail graphics show development patterns throughout time, to highlight how industry/residential developments have affected the natural systems on the island. These were done on illustrator, just tracing over these really cool hand drawn maps and aerials images for the more modern ones.

A couple of weeks ago I went on a work trip to Bentonville Arkansas, to visit a Carbo project that was completed a year ago. Part of their contracts for each project usually has someone from the office revisit a site a year after completion to meet with the contractor and go over what plants (if any) are unsuccessful, and any other issue the site is experiencing. 


Rain gardens on a slope, each cell can overflow onto the next, and there is also a sub-surface pipe connection between each.


Zach and I each brought a bike (Richard I stole your bike no hard feelings) to enjoy some really cool trails around town. This was a cool view towards the end of a big loop we did on the last evening. Also, the drive to Bentonville took 9.5 HOURS. So I spent 2 full working days driving. Not something I was expecting when I started working here, but it has been the most fun I've had on my internship so far.

I hope you all are still doing well and I can't wait to see you guys next semester, I'm sure we will all be telling stories for days :D.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Malcore | Reich Associates | 04

Austin Carbo - Design Workshop - Blog #7

Kaylin Wilson’s Viewport - First Week