Charlie- CARBO- 03/10/2020

Hey Guys,

Hope you all are having a good week as we get into March here. Things are going steady and well over here for me and Austin. I am still learning a lot, but also gaining a bit of competence at stuff. Something I have been thinking about recently that's cool about CARBO is the variety of projects we work on while still keeping consistent with the end product. What i'm really talking about here is having workflow. 
One of the hardest things for me in school was deciding how i'm going to do something, and I felt that, often times, the end was limited by the means. Deciding which programs to use and how to switch back and forth between these not only jammed me up but put limits on the end product. 

A big thing i'm taking away from this internship is the ability to transition smoothly not only between multiple projects, types of projects (residential, institutional)  but between different phases of a project( SD, DD CD, rendering), and perhaps most important, different programs. 
Just by learning a few new methods, I am gaining confidence in my ability to take something from concept sketch to finished product.

Whether it'a a construction detail in autocad, or a fully rendered plan in photoshop, making a punch list or sheet set or indesign, or talking to clients over email, I know how to use the tools.
Gaps in my game? I don't know anything about 3d modeling, sketchup or lumion. Maybe a situation will force me to learn those soon. 
What are your gaps in your game? Have you filled any in?

In any case, its nice to do a little bit of everything. I feel that by the time August rolls around I might be able to say I've dipped my toe into the ocean that is design office knowledge/wizadry. 

I'm soaking it all in, but always playing the long game, I wonder what my next move will be in this game of 'fill in the knowledge gaps.' I think it is construction for me. 

What about ya'll? Could you see yourself at your respective firm after school? What does your next move look like?

Site measurements to rendered plan. 
Not Pictured: 90,000 rounds of redlines

Comments

  1. I could see my self working at DTJ, its an awesome firm with some great people and possible thinking about going to get a masters in urban planning after school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice plan Charlie. I like the rendering style of color without all the textures and stuff for computer drawings. I definitely see holes in my game, such as lacking in efficiency, time management, and taking more initiative on decisions. I try to practice learning software on my downtime between tasks, like sketchup and photoshop. It's honestly kind of relaxing that way, and pretty easy to learn.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Malcore | Reich Associates | 04

Austin Carbo - Design Workshop - Blog #7

Kaylin Wilson’s Viewport - First Week