Emily Poulter - January 27th, 2020

Today is the first day of my third week at Pharis Design. I have already been here for almost a month! The office is split into two sides, planning and landscape architecture. I am in the planning office which is right next door to the landscape architecture office. I help both sides on their projects. Right now I am working on conceptual designs for a park in a community outside of Leander Texas called Bryson. My coworkers said this community has been great to work with (they started the project 5 years ago when the community did not exist and have been planning it ever since). A lot of times they said it is difficult to get existing cities to understand why implementing green infrastructure techniques and other sustainable construction techniques are important. Bryson is better because the community started from nothing so they want to use techniques that will keep it thriving for a long time and are more open minded about trying new things. My part in this community involves designing a park that is on a hilltop with great views. Part of this park will be a fenced in dog park and the rest will be left pretty natural so residents can do whatever they want there.

This is my desk. Its a standing desk which is so great after not having one last semester. Is anyone else's back/ neck hurting from sitting in the same spot everyday? The standing desk definitely helps me.

Last week I created some renderings for a residential landscape design. I also developed the planting design which was really fun. 


My coworker's dog, Beau, has been at the office most days for emotional support. We also usually get lunch as an office on fridays. I work through lunch most days so that I can leave early on fridays, usually around 2 or 3. 

Something I find really interesting about living in Austin is the topography! I have lived in Baton Rouge my whole life so driving up and down hills everyday is very different and honestly fun. 

Riley moved with me and is working at a butcher shop making sausages and other meat products. The place also bakes fresh bread everyday so we have been eating fresh bread everyday and fresh vegetables from the weekend farmers markets that we have been going to. I swear I ate the best tasting carrot of my life the other day from Johnson's Farm. Here is a picture of our new favorite snack, charcuterie boards!!
Its been good to hear what all of yall are up to across the country! Sheridan Kaylin and I have decided to take a weekend trip to San Diego to see Claytin! We dont know dates yet but we are super excited!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Justin Malcore | Reich Associates | 04

Austin Carbo - Design Workshop - Blog #7

Kaylin Wilson’s Viewport - First Week